We thought we'd share this mouthwatering pecan pie recipe with you (as there is very little of the actually pie left to share). Now for another slice - well it is wholemeal isn't it?
You can use a shop bought shortcrust pastry base but I preferred to make it myself with
wholemeal flour. I also substituted golden syrup with maple syrup.
Shortcrust pastry ingredients
· 125g/4oz wholemeal flour
· pinch of salt
· 55g/2oz butter, cubed
· 30-45ml/2-3 tbsp cold water
· Flan / cake tin
Preparation method for shortcrust pastry
1. Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the cubes of butter.
2. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining. Try to work quickly so that it does not become greasy.
3. Using a knife, stir in just enough of the cold water to bind the dough together.
4. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
5. Alternatively using a food processor, put the flour, butter and salt in the food processor and pulse until the fat is rubbed into the flour.
6. With the motor running, gradually add the water through the funnel until the dough comes together. Only add enough water to bind it and then stop.
7. Wrap the dough in clingfilm as before and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
8. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
9. Roll out the dough until it is larger than the size of the flan tin and line the tin with the pastry, pressing gently into base, sides and rim. Prick the base several times with a fork.
10. Place a sheet of baking parchment onto the pastry and weigh down with baking beans or dried lentils. Bake for 10 minutes then remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 10 minutes.
Pecan Pie Ingredients
· 110g/4oz unsalted butter
· 110g/4oz maple syrup
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 225g/8oz brown sugar
· 3 free-range eggs, beaten
· shortcrust pastry (from recipe above)
· 285g/10oz pecan nuts, halved
1. Turn the oven temperature down to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Place the butter, golden syrup, vanilla extract and sugar into a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
3. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir well.
5. Set aside a small handful of the pecan nuts. Arrange the remaining pecan halves evenly in the pastry case and carefully pour over the syrup mixture.
6. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes - the pie will be golden-brown, but the filling should still be slightly soft.
7. Leave the pie to cool on a wire tray. As the pie begins to set, decorate the top with the reserved pecan halves. Serve in slices.
The main pecan pie recipe was adapted from http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/